Converted from dasBlog to BlogEngine.NET

If you see some weirdness with the blog, like missing images or broken links, let me know.  I’ve switched from dasBlog to BlogEngine.NET.  I started this blog in 2005, and after four years, it was time for a different look and some different software.

The conversion from dasBlog to BlogEngine.NET was pretty easy.  Here’s what I did:

  1. Installed BlogEngine.NET as a website on my local machine, and tweaked the config (blog name, admin user, theme, etc)
  2. Downloaded my dasBlog installation to a temporary folder.  No need to install as a web app.
  3. Converted my blog entries to BlogML with the dasBlog to BlogML converter.  I saved the output XML to the temp folder.  This conversion took a minute or two.
  4. Using the BlogEngine.NET import tool, imported the BlogML output.  This process took seconds.

There was one small problem during conversion—the BlogML originally did not validate (there is a validation check in the import tool).  I tried opening up the BlogML file in XML Notepad 2007, which pointed to some weird character in a specific line of the XML.  I then opened the BlogML in Notepad++, navigated to the line indicated by XML Notepad 2007, and instantly saw the invalid characters.  After I deleted two of something, the BlogML validated and I could import the posts and comments.

DotNetKicks Image
Posted in CMS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *